HISTORICAL OVERVIEW OF ORIGIN AND DEVELOPMENT:
The history of this plant begins with the Austrian-German company Bosnishe elektrizitas A.G. which was founded in 1897. On April 20, 1897, the founding assembly was held, and on June 30 of the same year, the District Court in Travnik registered the above-mentioned company in the commercial register under number 54-1-1233. The company is registered with its headquarters in Jajce and with the “Record Bureau” in Vienna. The “Evidence Bureau” in Vienna was envisaged as the company’s outpost in order to place production on the European market, and later became the centre of a group of companies under the common name “Elektrobosna”. This name comes from the telegraphic abbreviation “Bosnishe elektrizitas”. The established company started the construction of a hydroelectric power plant and a plant for the production of carbides, and later beagids. Carbide was produced in 36 small single-phase electric furnaces in the form of pots, with a power of 150-200 kW. In 1904, a part of these small single-phase furnaces was replaced by a larger three-phase, electric furnace of 4000 hp.
Due to the crisis on the carbide market at the beginning of the last century, ie from 1902, work began on the production of ferrosilicon, and the factory in Jajce introduced the production of the same from 1908.
Between 1954 and 1957, a modern electric furnace for the production of ferrosilicon, the company “TAGLIAFERRI” Milano, with an installed capacity of 8500 kVA was purchased and put into operation in March 1962. In 1965, a second furnace was installed, and in 1967, a third. Thanks to quality raw materials, Si metal of excellent quality was produced with a silicon content of over 99%.
By the 1970s, EB had grown into one of the industrial giants in socialist BiH.
Workers 1991 they buy shares and privatize EB which becomes a joint stock company. With the establishment of peace in 1995. the assembly of pre-war workers is founded by DP Elektrobosna d.d. Previous assets such as hotels, camps, stadiums, halls and plants are being taken into the ownership of the new company. After the Board of Directors in 1997. announced an international investment tender and accepted the offer of the London company NEW East Co. Limited, the Board of Directors of Elektrobosna in cooperation with New East establishes a new company called “Elektrobosna-N” d.o.o. In addition to Elektrobosna – N d.o.o. two more “subsidiaries” Elbo Komerc d.o.o. were established and Elektrobosna-Zaks d.o.o.
On 01.06.2004. yr. from “Elektrobosna-N” d.o.o. Jajce, Metalleghe d.o.o. bought part of the so-called plant. An “old furnace” consisting of three furnaces. These 3 (three) electric arc furnaces with immersed arc are used for the production of ferroalloys with a high content of Si (metallurgical degree of Si metal is 96–99.6%) by the process of carbothermal reduction of quartz.
After taking over three electric arc furnaces, ie already in 2005. began the process of “radical restoration” and modernization of all sectors while using the best and most modern production technologies, which allowed the company to become in a very short time one of the most qualified European producers of Si metal, characterized by annual production of about 18,000 tons.